March 15, 2024

..Musings.. recollections ..


😊

  

One evening   Emperor Asoka, in Pataliputra,   was standing  aside  the  great river Ganges with  the retinue of his ministers and military forces. He was watching gracefully the force with which the river was flowing and suddenly asked his ministers’--

“ Who  can reverse the flow of this great Ganges upwards?.

As is expected came the reply ‘Nobody can do so, sire’.

 Bindumati,  a whore standing nearby the river who overheard the conversation, with due respects to the Emperor told, “Maharaj, I am a whore and make a living on my beauty. Having my truthful and sincere service to the community, I am sure of  reversing  upwards the flow of the Ganges.” No sooner than she had completed the roaring Ganges resumed  flow  upwards.  

 Aghast and surprised the Emperor asked   “what is the secret behind your action.

  The power of truth” came the reply.  “ Maharaj, whoever gave me  money , I  do not  look and differentiate them as to whether he is a Brahmin, Khastriya,  Vysya or shudra.   I render my service sincerely and truthfully and that is my strength,  having received the wages.

Each one has to follow the Dharma in their work and that is the meaning of Truthfulness.

( From “ Philosophies of India –By Heinrich Zimer/ Joseph Campbell )

2. Yajnadatta was bitten by a poisonous snake. His parents took him to a saint and reverently appealed him to save their son. He avoided them saying that he is not a Physician. But the parents  pressurised him use his  power as a saint. He has agreed and put his hand on Yajnadutta’s head and prayed saying that he had lived his life truthfully only  for the last one week and balance fifty years was against his conscience. Let the boy survive if there is any truth in my actions. Poison has receded to the ground partly as the child vomited. The father of the child said, “ I lived  hating  people coming to my house and neither the saints nor Brahmins were welcome there. If there is truth in my words, let my son survive.” Then it was turn of the mother. She prayed and said “ Oh my son, I hate your father more than the snake which bite you, though I hesitate to tell the truth in the presence of all. If what I said is true let my son get his life back.”  The full poison came  out of the body of the child and he walked away as if from a good sleep.

( It is the power of truth which is above every thing )

 3. Question : Is it sin to tell a lie?

   Answer: Not necessarily so  every time. Jean val jean was running for life, chased by the Police. He entered the Chappel and hid behind a door in the room  where a Sister was praying before the Altar.  The Police Inspector who followed him entered the Chapel and enquired the Sister, ‘ Are you alone in this  room? “ Who else can be,  when al I am praying alone before my Lord’’ retorted the Sister.

 The Police turned back and gone.

 Victor Yugo in his famous novel “ Les Miserables” writes: The Sister deserves to be anointed as a saint though she told a lie.

4. Bertrand Russel was walking on a village path alone. He saw a jackal,  very tired and forlorn was trying to run with all the energy left in its command. The hunter who was following the jackal asked  Russel,’  Have you seen a jackal  ‘ Oh, Yes . It has just ran away in that direction’  said  Russel to them and save the animal.

 Later he tells us : I do not think I should have been a better man if I had told the Truth.

( The conquest of Happiness - Bertrand Russel )


5. British soldiers were taking   Napoleon to Helena Island in their  ship. During the dinner time Napoleon saw the Captain of the ship Mr. Write   and asked him,  “ Are you the relative of the person whom these people accuse of me,  strangulated and killed.” 

“ Yes, sir” said the Captain, “ And will you now  explain  how Mr Write Sr. was killed who was under your custody in Jail” .  Napoleon ” Sure I will tell” and continued.” Mr. Write was in the ship  which was stationed on the French shores. It was found out that he joined the forces who were planning to kill me and I had to jail him. My idea was to keep him there till violence is curbed and peace is restored.  But due to depression and agony he suicided. You need not be surprised because it is in your  national character and pastime  for you,  unlike in other countries”.  Having said that he abruptly left the dinner table.

(  From the attractive book ,‘The murder of Napoleon‘)

This is the greatness and courage of Napoleon, inspite of being a prisoner surrounded by the British Army personnel.

6. An Englishman to an Indian : You speak about Advaitha, Dwaitha, Visishtadvaitha etc on and often . What is the use of this all to the common man?.  

The Indian retorted with another question: You come here to conquest Everest. And you respect and admire them, is not it. What  purpose does it serve to reach a place where even a single straw of grass doesn't grow.

Englishman : Oh that is great, conquer the nature. It is adventure.

Indian :  You conquer the mountain peaks  but we conquer the peaks of spirituality.

( Read in a story written by the Renowned writer Mr A S P Iyer. May be an actual incident too .)

😑

3 comments:

  1. Glimpses from the lives of truth seekers....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very interesting incidents, mostly new to me, extolling the power of truth if used for good purposes. I like such posts very much. You amaze me with your wide knowledge of such positive tidbits.

    ReplyDelete
  3. All the six narratives here make very interesting reading and reveal greatness of truth and spirituality.

    ReplyDelete

An Ode to the Aged

An Ode to the Aged Achuthan Nair was getting old. After a long stint in Govt. service, and his wife passed away, was staying with his only s...