March 25, 2024

One among them.. Me too

 One among them.... Me too

Nowadays seeing and interacting with people has become almost nil. There was a time when I am in native place, the first question comes from the person with a smile I meet was " Oh, mm.. has come on leave ? when is the return ? Heard that there is water scarcity in your city !" I often wonder to which question should I answer first or can it be with a smile, pass the test and move away ! The times have changed and they too are calm by themselves down. No more questions and a stare look or half a smile answers all from both the sides, if at all some recognize me !
Yesterday, I had to go to the bank in the after noon. Parked my vehicle near the shades and with difficulty climbed the stairs to the first floor. From there watched the side road and saw a tired old lady opens a packet full of biscuits to a stray dog while other two came running to get their share. No wonder the dogs in town are fat and healthy ; they are getting enough food. Therefore, there is no anxiety or impatience in them that a dog should naturally feel. She too, of a grandma's age very happy and talks to them as if to her own wards. When I came out from the Bank ,saw a dog slowly eating the biscuits lying in front of me on the footpath waggling the tail, not howling at the stranger. While I was about to enter the Car, a sound came from behind, saying :
"Sir, I am thirsty ,will you give me some money to have a cool drink from the shop ?"
When I looked, it was that old grandmother I mentioned earlier.
I looked at them closely and asked her,
"You bought the biscuits for the dogs and you didn't have enough money for the drink! Isn't that enough for your own business?"
I'll give it to you, but how much do you want?"
"Ten rupees ..?"
"Okay, but isn't this money too ,to buy biscuits for the dogs?!
Isn't that the truth?"
A small smile appeared on his lips and then disappeared.

She answered quickly with a smile and half- closed sunken eyes :
"I was a person who was around serving a lot of people nearby this place. Back then, everyone wanted me to cook and other domestic service to them. Now , when I became tired and sick no one wanted me. I have seen a lot of money and don't want anything in return. There is no one, likes me...these dogs loves me than my.....! She could not complete with chocking throat..
.
For a minute I was stunned, as if watching a movie where a scene of hyper-emotion came between joy and mischief or misery. Then, automatically extended the money.. no more questions to ask for..
There is only one thing a man needs until he departs this world.. Consideration, compassion and some love to make others cheer or laugh. Even if it is something that can be given without spending money , we will be stingy with it as much as we are stingy otherwise too ! Without thinking about tomorrow !😟

6 comments:

  1. The short post brings out the moral in “ True compassion means not only feeling another's pain but also being moved to help relieve it.”

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice comment. but who has written this ? May I Know .

      Delete
  2. H S Narayanan : Last paragraph sums up the truth about our lives. Nowadays I don't bargain with the vendors selling vegetables etc. on the street even if the price/ quality isn't up to my expectations. Their livelihood depends on this day to day business I am not going to loose much. Let them live happily and they are not begging.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Manikandan p v : πŸ‘ Great story.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good. Thoughtful narrative

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very touching narrative. Compassion, little attention and care are what we all deserve after we have (almost) reached the end of our mortal journey. ….. Amitava Kundu

    ReplyDelete

Kubera, the God of Wealth

Kubera, the Hindu god of wealth, is revered for his association with prosperity and abundance. With origins in Hindu mythology, Kubera’s rol...